Monday, October 20, 2008

You Are My Family Now

Last Tuesday I helped with an ESL class in Queens. Sandy B teaches the class every week. We had five students. They were from China, Pakistan, and Nepal. We taught them how to say body parts in english and how to communicate ailments to the doctor. I can’t imagine going to a country and having to learn their language from someone who can’t speak mine! One of the Nepali women is a Christian. The rest are Hindu or Muslim. I had the opportunity to talk about what I believe. One of our exercises was to introduce yourself and tell where you’re from and what religion you follow. I participated and shared about Christianity. It was so hard to explain it clearly and simply so they could understand. Remember they are learning to speak english and don’t know too many words. Soma, from Nepal asked me questions and said she had been reading about Jesus in a track she received from Sandy B. The track lists the basic truths of the Gospel in english and nepali.

Today, Sandy brought Soma to the office to help. She helped stuff packets for our upcoming training event. I conversed with her and she asked me all kinds of questions. (How are you, How is your family, how old are you, what did you have for breakfast? etc.) She did very well. She then began to tell me and Sandy that we are her family. In Soma’s words, “You are my family now. Nepal is far, where my family is. Before I knew you I was bored. Now I am happy. I’m learning. My mind is fresh. You are my family.” It was so sweet. While she was in our office she began to read a booklet she found on my desk, His Story. It’s a kids story of creation to the resurrection of Jesus. She asked us questions about it which allowed us to continue sharing with her. I’m excited to see her grow in curiosity and learn more. Please pray the Lord will begin to open her heart to believe in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment