Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bowery Women's Mission Center

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11-13

“You’ve given me Hope!” said after the first session of a new career development program at the Bowery Mission Women’s Center.

The Bowery Mission Women’s Center is located in a five story brownstone in Manhattan. Residents enter a 9-15 month program built around three areas of transformation: spiritual, economic and emotional. Women who enter the program have experienced homelessness, abuse, depression or addictions. The women are equipped to mange anger and heal relationships. Each woman is taught about God’s love and offered practical life skills and career training. As graduates of the program, women will be able to find secure jobs and become financially independent.

For the next several weeks, my co-worker Sandy will teach a career development program called Work Net. Today I had the opportunity to help Sandy launch the program at the Bowery Mission. I was able to get to know a few of the women over lunch and observe there excitement as Sandy introduced the curriculum and shared all they will learn over the course of the program. Most of the women are eager to make necessary changes to live more productive lives.

One woman shared how she is now trusting the Lord. She confessed to living life on her own strength and shared the joy she found when she finally dropped her defenses and followed the Lord. She spoke of drug addiction, abusive relationships and losing three homes. You should have seen her smile as she told me she would never get tired of sharing her testimony of how the Lord changed her life! She has a passion for working with children and wants to one day be a drug counselor for teenagers. She wants to help those who are facing the same challenges she experienced as a teenager.

The Lord is working in big ways through the Bowery Mission! Please pray for the women who are participating in the program.

Watch this Video! – Women share how their lives have been changed at the Bowery Mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment