Friday, October 24, 2008

And the Adventure Begins!

It’s my first official Friday night in the city that never sleeps. You’re probably thinking I should be out doing something fun, right? Well the truth is I am absolutely exhausted. The move, the transition, the emotions, the walking… all of it has worn me out! I cannot remember ever being as tired as I have felt for the last three days. My co-worker, Sandy said it would probably take six months for my body to get acclimated to the pace of NY. Let’s hope my body adjusts quickly.

I moved up last week and am finally all settled in my new apartment. I’m in a great neighborhood in Queens. Life here is different. The population of people here is so diverse. No one looks the same, and it’s normal to hear several different languages spoken as you walk down the street. I love taking in all the new sights, sounds and smells of the city. I’m a block from the Subway which is my primary means of transportation. The grocery store, CVS, Starbucks, restaurants and shops are right down the street. I love running downstairs and making it to the grocery store in a couple of minutes. The apartment has plenty of room. My new friend and roommate Liz did a great job finding us a place. I also have another roommate, Anna who will be joining us in October.

I started at Here’s Life on Wednesday. I arrived at 11:30am for a staff meeting and welcome lunch. I love each member of my staff team. Some of the staff have been with Here’s Life for several years. It is so neat to hear their hearts for serving God in New York City. They gave me a fun welcome bag full of everything from hand sanitizer to a I love NY coffee mug. My afternoon was full of meetings with my director, intern coordinator and other staff. I received lots of information on Here’s Life and what my role will be at the ministry. I learned of upcoming projects I will help manage. I got a schedule of ministry partners I will visit over the next three weeks. I will have the opportunity to visit several ministries before I decide where I will spend my field time. I do know that I will help at the Bowery Women’s Center on Monday afternoons. I will help Sandy host a Worknet Program for the residents. Work Net is a career development program for adults who have been labeled unemployable. We will help the women overcome barriers to begin a career rather than just finding a quick-fix job. I’ll also visit two S.A.Y. Yes Centers (after school programs) and a soup kitchen/food pantry.

When I’m not in the field serving, I will be serving as the director’s assistant. As the assistant, I will do what I can to support Clint and the ministry of Here’s Life. There are projects I will work on over the course of the year. The biggest will be managing a project to create a Web site for Here’s Life-New York. I will also be serving as a volunteer coordinator for the purpose of promoting volunteer opportunities, following up and maintaining relationships with volunteers and increasing volunteers.

I am excited about each opportunity. I can’t wait to see all the Lord will do during my year here.

No comments:

Post a Comment