Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Future of East Harlem

I spent the afternoon helping at an after school program in East Harlem. I really enjoyed being there. I arrived early enough to pray with the leaders and volunteers about our time with the kids. I also spent some time with Mother Helen learning about the group of kids who attend. Their program has been open for 11years! There are 18 kids who come Tuesday-Friday. She told me that most of the kids would look clean and neat but many of them had difficult lives. They serve a full meal because some kids are not fed supper at home. I worked at the 2nd grade station with two little boys- Tyron and Glenroy. I heard about Tyron before he arrived and was told he would need one on one attention. He was so cute but did not have a very good attention span. He was constantly looking around, any sound or movement would draw his attention away from me and his homework. He talked so low, I had to lean in to hear. I continued to talk to him and try to get him to loosen up. He finally relaxed and began to talk to me. Finally his voice was loud enough for me to hear without straining. He did really well writing sentences and spelling the words I called out to him. All of a sudden he was spilling all kinds of info about his family and home life. It was really confusing but I did get that his home life is not the best.

We took a break from homework to have chapel time. A few of the kids led our time by praying and reading the months memory verse. It was so sweet. After chapel, the kids would usually have Bible club but today they got extra time on their homework before game time. I played the board game,Trouble with Tyron and another kid. I enjoyed seeing Tyron be silly and have fun. There was a huge change from two hours earlier when he was distant and distracted. As the kids were picked up, we sang songs and practiced saying the months of the year. I was really encouraged to visit the program. Afternoons spent at the church are so important for these kids. They are loved and encouraged. Sometimes kids just need structure and a stable authority figure to trust. Most importantly they hear about Jesus.One of their volunteers is in high school and participated in the program in elementary and middle school. She is grateful for the difference the after school program had in her life and wants to give back.

No comments:

Post a Comment