Friday, October 24, 2008

An Inside Look

The leaves are so beautiful here! They’re mostly a burnt orange and gold color. With the wind, I’m sure they’ll be gone in no time. Fortunately, the last couple of days have been warm. (can’t believe I’m calling 58 degrees warm) We have had very COLD weather. It’s the wind that makes it unbearable, add rain and oh man. Liz is letting me borrow this heavy duty coat. It comes down past my knees and keeps me warm. Next thing I need is a good hat, you know those ones with the ear flaps, yeah a warm fuzzy hat would be perfect.

Besides adjusting to the weather, I’ve made an easy transition into city life. I thank the Lord often for how easily I’m adapting to my new home. Of course, I miss my family but I’m not homesick. I’m content knowing this is where the Lord wants me for this time in my life.

I’m really happy with my apartment and neighborhood. I love being close to Manhattan. I’m entertained just finding a neighborhood to walk around in. I go into the city three days a week for ministry and usually on the weekends to do something fun. Liz and I have been decorating our apartment. We rearranged the living room and it looks so much more homey and welcoming!

I spend a good amount of time on the subway. My commute to work isn’t bad, the 35 minutes goes by fast. On Mondays, I take a bus into the city to volunteer at the Bowery Women’s Mission. I have about 10 blocks to walk once I get off the bus. ( I do a lot of walking) On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have a 45 min to 1 hour ride to Harlem on the subway. I usually read for my online class or secretly watch people. It’s always interesting whether it be the people or the task of getting off at the right stop while herds of people are cramming on.

Things I’ve enjoyed so far about living in NYC:

Getting my haircut by an Israeli at a Russian hair salon

Shopping at a Chinese market

Eating Indian food- Chicken Tikka Masala is very good!

Walking 2 minutes to the grocery store

Building relationships with people that are different than me

Central Park

No comments:

Post a Comment