Tuesday, July 14, 2009

2 months to go....

I’m two months away from completing my yearlong internship with Here’s Life Inner City and very excited about what God has in store for the future! For those of you new to my blog, let me share my journey . . .


Five years ago God burdened my heart for the lost when I was a freshman at the University of South Carolina, involved with Campus Crusade for Christ. I developed a heart for the poor while serving with the 2006 Summer in the City project in New York, run by Here’s Life. What an amazing summer! I tutored inner-city kids, served in soup kitchens, ministered to women in shelters, shared God's love on the streets. In just a short time, these experiences changed my life! God gave me a vision to one day return to the inner-city to minister to people in need.


Back on campus as a junior at Carolina, God began to show me the needs of the poor in Columbia. I had to act. I teamed up with another Summer in the City alum and trained students at my church in evangelism and cross-cultural ministry. We volunteered at a shelter for women and a transitional home for children. Before long, 29 students developed a heart for the poor and followed me to New York for Spring Break. We spent a wonderful week serving the inner-city poor alongside Here’s Life!


God called me to become an intern on the Here’s Life team in New York City after graduating from college in May 2008. Whether I’m teaching kids about Jesus in Harlem, recruiting volunteers for our next event, praying with a 50-year-old homeless woman as she cries about her past, or helping teach a career development class to those deemed “unemployable” – God is being glorified. I have loved every moment of it!


And now I’m excited to announce my decision to officially join the New York City staff team of Here’s Life Inner City. After much prayer, I know God has called me into full-time ministry. In September I'll head South to attend New Staff Training and raise financial support. I hope to be back in NYC after the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment