Saturday, March 28, 2009

“Andrea, I don’t know what you’ve done, but Tyron is like a different little boy when you’re around,” Mrs. Rogers exclaimed, as Tyron giggled with eyes full of mischief.”

It was only four months ago, when I met a withdrawn little boy at a S.A.Y Yes! after-school program in the heart of East Harlem. Tyron, a second-grader, bobbed his head in all directions as he tried to keep up with everything happening in the room. It was almost like he was frightened and had to know where every sound was coming from. He was constantly distracted and often detached from those around him. As I tried to help with his homework, I quickly became discouraged. He never wrote his homework down or brought his books from school! I soon learned more about Tyron’s life and poor performance in school.

“Lord, how do I minister to this little boy?” I prayed. I believe I am here to love this child and build him up by sharing the truth of God’s love with him. Many inner-city kids lack structure and positive attention, so I set expectations for our time together and developed a reward system to enforce good behavior and improvement in his schoolwork. I am amazed at the progress I’ve seen.

I also have the privilege of teaching Tyron about Jesus. I find creative ways to teach him biblical lessons and help him learn bible verses. Tyron is in process and God is working in his life. Please pray with me that Tyron will continue to understand what it means to receive Christ in his life.

Now, Tyron walks in with a grin on his face and pulls out a new book for us to read. He is like a different little boy. He stays completely engaged during our time together. Just last week he wrote his homework assignment down in his notebook for the first time since October. What huge progress! We’ve had our difficult moments as many things are going on in Tyron’s life. I thank God for the after-school program. It’s a much-needed safe environment where kids are loved, tutored and taught about Jesus. I’m excited to see what God has in store for Tyron’s life. Tyron is only one of the many children who benefit from S.A.Y. Yes! after school programs around the city.

February 2009 Prayer Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment