Friday, January 9, 2009

New Begginings

Happy 2009! I just got back into the city on Sunday. This week has passed quickly as I’ve gotten back into the swing of things. A new WorkNet course started Monday at the Bowery Women’s Mission. We have a few new women this time around. It was a very sweet time. Before introducing the curriculum, we spent time sharing about Christmas. A few of the women are in stage 2 of the program and were allowed to go home for 3 days over Christmas. Others are new and are not allowed to leave the house. One woman seemed sad about not being with her family but lit up when she told us it was her first Christmas clean in many years. She was a heroine addict for 12 years walking away from it when she entered the Bowery 5 weeks ago. “I made memories I’ll actually remember.”

Tuesday I traveled to Harlem to continue with the after-school program. I was so happy to see the kids. I think my boys missed me because they were out of control. Yann joined us for the day. He’s another second grader who usually sits with another volunteer. Tyron, Glenroy and Yann were a handful. They didn’t stop giggling from the time they walked in the door. Once again I found myself looking around as every other kid in the place sat like angels leaning over their text books quietly studying. I enjoy every minute of loving on these kids and helping them in every way I can… even when its difficult. Tyron has changed so much and is improving greatly in his school work. He brought homework to do on Tuesday- which is huge for him. Mother Helen (the director) looked over and said, “I don’t know what you do to Tyron but he is a different little boy when you’re around. While you were gone he just sat in his chair doing nothing.” I’m thankful for how the Lord is working through my relationship with Tyron.

No comments:

Post a Comment