Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bowery Update

As the career development course at the Bowery Women’s Mission is in its final weeks, I want to bring you up-to-date on what’s been going on. In previous posts I’ve mentioned how many of the women are in the process of dealing with various issues. Each are doing so well but struggle daily as they heal from their previous addictions, relationships and circumstances.

Sadly over the course of four weeks we have lost four of our students. The first two left the program in mid-November. It broke my heart. It was very disappointing to see them go and not get to say goodbye. I had so much hope for them. I worked with one woman closely every week as she was preparing to interview for jobs.

Shortly after, Sandy got news that another had walked out. She was having a very hard time living among the other women and decided she would return to the shelter system to hide. This made me so upset and frustrated.

On Friday, we got news that Missy left. Just last week I helped her with her resume and we identified an entry level position and discussed how she can move towards her dream job of being a drug counselor. Two weeks ago I read a book report she wrote about the importance of trusting God and his Word. She was doing so well.

It’s so easy for me to ask, “God, what are you thinking? and why?” But God is in control, He has the big picture. I can only pray for them now and hope they are finding their way and relying on the Lord. We have to pray for each woman remaining in the house, that they would persevere and trust the Lord.

Through these disappointments, I can’t overlook the huge progress of the other women in our class. God is healing hurts and transforming hearts. Women who have spent their entire lives trying to live in their own power but failed miserably, now have purpose and hope. It’s amazing to see women come to know Christ, receive practical life skills and resources and make true life changes. Thank you Lord for being faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment